International Conference on:
"Education and Governance for Sustainable Development"
To bring together the rectors, businessmen, government and academic representatives in order to promote the alignment of the institutions of higher education and business community with the United Nations’ universally accepted principle
- to offer the floor for discussions on the role of universities and management-related academic institutions such as business schools and faculty of business in promoting the UN principle on sustainability;
- to express the position of the representatives of the business community regarding the needs on education for implementing governance for sustainable development;
- to evaluate the progress on the implementation of the BSUN 2008 Kiev Declaration of the University Rectors for the Sustainable Development of the Black Sea Region;
- to define an action plan for short and midterm with required measures in the field of higher education for sustainable development;
- to initiate a platform for cooperation between universities and management-related academic institutions and business community on education and governance for sustainable development.
The conference shall be organized within the program of activities of the Romanian Presidency to BSEC and in the context of the 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, to be held in Rio de Janeiro. The conclusions from its deliberations will be shared with the inter-governmental process leading up to "Rio+20".
The Structure of the Conference:
- Plenary Session on Education & Governance for Sustainable Development
- Parallel Sessions:
- Education for Sustainability
- Green Economy in the context of Poverty Eradication and Sustainable Development Institutional Framework for Sustainable Development
- Institutional Framework for Sustainable Development
- Final session with the presentation of reports and adoption of the Resolution
Date of the Conference: 16-19 March, 2011
Venue of the Conference: “Ovidius” University of Constantza
- United Nations “Academic Impact” Initiative
- UN Global Compact
- Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) Initiative
- Black Sea Economic Cooperation Organization
- Romanian Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sports
- Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affaires
- Black Sea Universities Network
- “Ovidius” University of Constantza
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania
- The Businessmen’s Association of Romania
- BSEC Business Council
The UN Global Compact
is a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles
in the areas of human rights
. By doing so, business, as a primary driver of globalization, can help ensure that markets, commerce, technology and finance advance in ways that benefit economies and societies everywhere.
The UN Academic Impact
is a global initiative that aligns institutions of higher education with the United Nations in actively supporting ten universally accepted principles
in the areas of human rights, literacy, sustainability and conflict resolution.
The Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) initiative’s mission is to inspire and champion responsible management education, research and thought leadership globally. PRME is inspired by internationally accepted values such as the principles of the United Nations Global Compact. The Principles seek to establish a process of continuous improvement among institutions of management education in order to develop a new generation of business leaders capable of managing the complex challenges faced by business and society in the 21st century.